All that ails us

Cochrane says what’s right and wrong with Raghu Rajan’s Foreign Affairs essay

I agree with Rajan’s diagnosis that the world faces a crisis due to the increasingly high returns to skill and the apparent weakening of our ability to deliver basic education. However I more strongly agree with Cochrane that Rajan’s suggested cures are likely to range from too mild to counter-productive.

About these ads
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to All that ails us

1. Manny says:

I’ve Instapaper’d Cochrane’s post. Re Jim’s panning of SS, I will get back to you when I get some time.

2. On your Marx says:

Noah Smith is much better as usual on Rajan and writes about Cochrane in a psot before the one on Rajan.

3. On your Marx says:

Rajan is here.

Article on Cochrane is the next one.

• Ricardo says:

actually, i dislike this. RR’s book was pretty well received, and though i do not agree with all of it, i think it’s hard to just dismiss his inequality/credit argument like he has not done the work. He has done the work. Also, he was at the fund to see how it was unfolding between 2003 and 2007. In 2005, he warned it was about to melt down (confronting Greenspan, none the less).

in any case, i don’t think that this is RR’s main point. his main point is about the returns to education. that’s what is driving the increase in inequality – which he argues is the cause of the credit boom.

disagree if you like, but it’s a coherent view of the facts.

• Andrew says:

Agree 100% with you on this ricardo. I thought it was a pretty logical extension of his argument as to why stimulus wont work and it simply links back to the fundmentals…if your workforce isnt educated / skilled enough then you will have problems with growth. Spending money in a hope to stimulate the economy when there are fundamental problems that should be addressed (and are not being addressed) is silly.

• Ricardo says:

i am much more on board with TC’s judgement of the reactions. For me, the main bottom line is that we have to do something about education.

4. On your Marx says:

Here is another from Mike Konzal.

Sorry I am am kinda sick of people asserting something without evidence. Noah smith writes a little about this today.

There is no evidence whatsoever for large scale unemployment being structural.

• Ricardo says:

Well, there is a good deal of evidence. Folks have different views of it. I think SF Fed Williams gave a very balanced exposition of the various view in the speech i linked (well, it is the one i agree with).

Sent from my iPad

5. On your Marx says:

I don’t think you are reading him right.

A temporary increase is not structural.

if the unemployment rate is higher structurally then the NAIRU will rise permanently until fixed.
    This cannot fixed in the short term.

This means wages rise earlier than previous times as does inflation and thus interest rates.

It is economic flim flam.

6. On your Marx says:

Noah Smith again.
    I do like him. He goes out of his way to avoid hyperbole

7. On your Marx says:

Menzies Chin weighs in as well.

please comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s